Ariana Afghan Airlines was established in January 1955.
An American commercial pilot relocated several war-surplus Dakota
Aircraft to Afghanistan which he had been operating as a private air
service in India after the end of World War ll. Prior to that there had
been no air service for passengers within Afghanistan, even though the
Royal Afghan Air Force had been in existence for some years. The utility
of air travel was soon recognized by the Afghan Government, and the
airline was incorporated more formally as "Ariana Afghan Airlines".
An interesting footnote to that event was that the Shah of Afghanistan
personally designed the logo for the new airline, the very same logo
which is still proudly retained. The design represents the Afghan
Swallow whose graceful fight has always delighted Afghans throughout the
ages, and the blue field was inspired by precious stone lapis lazuli,
found uniquely in the high mountains of Afghanistan.
In 1957 an agreement was negotiated between the Royal Afghan